- Born on the Fourth of July (eBook, ePUB)8,95 €
- Barracoon: The Story of the Last Slave (eBook, ePUB)6,99 €
- Topgun (eBook, ePUB)8,49 €
- What It Is Like To Go To War (eBook, ePUB)5,99 €
- American Men of Action (eBook, ePUB)8,99 €
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (eBook, ePUB)0,99 €
- These Few Precious Days (eBook, ePUB)13,95 €
Sixteen years in the making, A Bright Shining Lie is an eloquent and disturbing portrait of a man who in many ways personified the US war effort in Vietnam, of a solider cast in the heroic mould, an American Lawrence of Arabia. Blunt, idealistic, patronising to the Vietnamese, Vann was haunted by a shameful secret - the fact that he was the illegitimate son of a 'white trash' prostitute. Gambling away his career, Vann left the army that he loved and returned to Vietnam as a civilian in the pacification programme. He rose to become the first American civilian to wield a general's command in war. When he was killed in 1972, he was mourned at Arlington cemetery by leading political figures of the day. Sheehan recounts his astonishing story in this intimate and intense meditation on a conflict that scarred the conscience of a nation.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Random House UK Ltd
- Seitenzahl: 896
- Erscheinungstermin: 3. August 2010
- ISBN-13: 9781407063904
- Artikelnr.: 39214290