After an introduction placing grammar in its educational and cultural context, the authors present a 'toolkit' for analysing sentences. The second part of the book demonstrates how to apply this toolkit to spoken and written language, using a wide range of real textual materials. Each chapter ends with a set of carefully-designed exercises and tasks to aid understanding, with answers provided at the end of the volume. Now thoroughly revised and updated to meet the needs of today's students, this new edition features:
- a new Foreword by the English Association
- an additional introductory chapter, 'Getting Started with Grammar', which introduces the subject for those with no prior knowledge
- improved and extended diagrams, exercises and answers
- up-to-date textual passages and examples
Lively and approachable, this indispensable guide is ideal for both students and teachers who are looking for their first serious engagement with - or wishing to rediscover- English grammar.
- Verlag: Macmillan Education
- 2. Aufl.
- Seitenzahl: 256
- Erscheinungstermin: Oktober 2005
- Abmessung: 235mm x 155mm x 14mm
- Gewicht: 422g
- ISBN-13: 9781403916426
- ISBN-10: 140391642X
- Artikelnr.: 20866620
What Grammar Is and Is Not.- Getting Started with Grammar.- PART B: ANALYSIS.- Sentences and their Parts.-Words.- Phrases.- Clauses.- Subordination and Coordination.- Basic and Derived Structures.- PART C: APPLICATIONS.- Discourse Analysis: Speech and Writing.- Discourse Analysis: Tenor and Domain.- Analysis of Literary Discourse.- Grammar and Problems of Usage.- Grammar and Composition.- Answers to Exercises.- Further Reading.- Index.