- Multiple Messengers and Challenges in Astroparticle Physics166,99 €
- The sine-Gordon Model and its Applications83,99 €
- Aspects of WIMP Dark Matter Searches at Colliders and Other Probes90,99 €
- Solar Cosmic Rays127,99 €
- XXI DAE-BRNS High Energy Physics Symposium187,99 €
- Baryonic Processes in the Large-Scale Structuring of the Universe87,99 €
- Neutron Stars and Pulsars172,99 €
James Matthews (Louisiana State University)
This is the second edition of an introduction to "multi-messenger" astrophysics. It covers the many different aspects connecting particle physics with astrophysics and cosmology and introduces high-energy astrophysics using different probes: the electromagnetic radiation, with techniques developed by traditional astronomy; charged cosmic rays, gamma-rays and neutrinos, with methods developed in high-energy laboratories; and gravitational waves, recently observed using laser interferometers.
The book offers a comprehensive and systematic approach to the theoretical background and the experimental aspects of the study of the high-energy universe. The breakthrough discovery of gravitational waves motivated this new edition of the book, to offer a more global and multimessenger vision of high-energy astrophysics. This second edition is updated and enriched with substantial new materials also deriving from the results obtained at the LIGO/Virgo observatories. For the first time it is now possible to draw the connection between gravitational waves, traditional astronomical observations and other probes (in particular, gamma-rays and neutrinos).
The book draws on the extensive courses of Professor Maurizio Spurio at the University of Bologna and it is aimed at graduate students and post-graduate researchers with a basic understanding of particle and nuclear physics. It will also be of interest to particle physicists working in accelerator/collider physics who are keen to understand the mechanisms of the largest accelerators in the Universe.
- Astronomy and Astrophysics Library
- Verlag: Springer / Springer International Publishing / Springer, Berlin
- Originaltitel: Particles and Astrophysics
- Artikelnr. des Verlages: 978-3-319-96853-7
- 2. Aufl.
- Erscheinungstermin: 19. Dezember 2018
- Abmessung: 241mm x 160mm x 38mm
- Gewicht: 1074g
- ISBN-13: 9783319968537
- ISBN-10: 331996853X
- Artikelnr.: 52985622