- Language in the Workplace. Interactions and Miscommunication (eBook, PDF)12,99 €
- An Introduction to Sociolinguistics (eBook, PDF)24,95 €
- The Palgrave Handbook of Linguistic (Im)politeness (eBook, PDF)212,95 €
- The Routledge Handbook of Language in the Workplace (eBook, PDF)31,95 €
- The Language of Work (eBook, PDF)17,95 €
- Investigating Workplace Discourse (eBook, PDF)37,95 €
- The Economics of the Multilingual Workplace (eBook, PDF)37,95 €
Co-authored by bestselling author Janet Holmes, this text provides insights into the way we all talk at work, including a wealth of material illustrating the way people communicate with each other in their ordinary everyday encounters in their workplaces. The analysis focuses, in particular, on how and why people "do" power and politeness in the workplace, and examines the discourse strategies involved in balancing the competing demands of meeting workplace objectives and getting things done on time with maintaining good collegial workplace relationships.
Drawing on a large and very varied corpus of data collected in a wide range of workplaces, the authors explore specific types of workplace talk, such as giving advice and instructions, solving problems, running meetings and making decisions. Attention is also paid to the important contribution of less obviously relevant types of workplace talk such as humour and small talk, to the construction of effective workplace relationships. In the final chapter some of the practical implications of the analyses are identified.
This Routledge Linguistics Classic is here reissued with a new preface from the authors, covering the methods of analysis, an update on the Language in the Workplace project and a look at the work in the context of recent research. Power and Politeness in the Workplace continues to be a vital read for researchers and postgraduate students in the fields of applied linguistics and communication studies.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Taylor & Francis Ltd.
- Seitenzahl: 216
- Erscheinungstermin: 20. Februar 2015
- ISBN-13: 9781317611547
- Artikelnr.: 42365886