- Indian Biodiversity for the Present Millennium (eBook, ePUB)43,95
- Asian Judges Symposium on Environmental Decision Making, the Rule of Law, and Environmental Justice (eBook, ePUB)3,99
- The Korea Emissions Trading Scheme (eBook, ePUB)3,99
- Buyer, Regulator, and Enabler: The Government's Role in Ecosystem Services Markets (eBook, ePUB)3,99
- Central Asia Atlas of Natural Resources (eBook, ePUB)3,99
'Does the earth's finite carrying capacity mean economic growth has to stop? That momentous question is the subject of Charles Mann's brilliant book.' Wall Street Journal
In forty years, the population of the Earth will reach ten billion. Can our world support so many people? What kind of world will it be? In this unique, original and important book, Charles C. Mann illuminates the four great challenges we face - food, water, energy, climate change - through an exploration of the crucial work and wide-ranging influence of two little-known twentieth-century scientists, Norman Borlaug and William Vogt.
Vogt (the Prophet) was the intellectual forefather of the environmental movement, and believed that in our using more than the planet has to give, our prosperity will bring us to ruin. Borlaug's research in the 1950s led to the development of modern high-yield crops that have saved millions from starvation. The Wizard of Mann's title, he believed that science will continue to rise to the challenges we face.
Mann tells the stories of these scientists and their crucial influence on today's debates as his story ranges from Mexico to India, across continents and oceans and from the past and the present to the future. Brilliantly original in concept, wryly observant and deeply researched, The Wizard and the Prophet is essential reading for readers of Yuval Noah Harari's Sapiens or Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel, for anyone interested in how we got here and in the future of our species.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GB, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Pan Macmillan
- Altersempfehlung: ab 18 Jahre
- Erscheinungstermin: 25.01.2018
- ISBN-13: 9781509884193
- Artikelnr.: 50475148