- Literature, Religion, and the Evolution of Culture, 1660-178061,99 €
- Religion, Politics, and Society in Sixteenth-Century England109,99 €
- A Hand-book for Travellers in Spain and Readers at Home Describing the Country and Cities, the Natives and Their Manners, the Antiquities, Religion, Legends, Fine Arts, Literature, Sports, and Gastronomy, with Notices on Spanish History12,90 €
- History, Religion, and Culture96,99 €
- The History of England, Volume 1: From the Invasion of Julius Caesar to the Revolution in 168820,99 €
- Religion, Politics and Preferment in France Since 189095,99 €
- War and British Society 1688 181554,99 €
Table of contents:
Introduction Donna B. Hamilton and Richard Strier; 1. Sir John Oldcastle as symbol of Reformation historiography Annabel Patterson; 2. The 'sacred hunger of ambitious minds': Spenser's savage religion Andrew Hadfield; 3. Subversive fathers and suffering subjects: Shakespeare and Christianity Debora K. Shuger; 4. Kneeling and the body politic Lori Anne Ferrell; 5. Donne and the politics of devotion Richard Strier; 6. Catholic, Anglican or Puritan? Edward Sackville, Fourth Earl of Dorset, and the ambiguities of religion in early Stuart England David L. Smith; 7. Crucifixion or apocalypse: refiguring the Eikon Basilike Laura Blair McKnight; 8. Marvell, sacrilege, and Protestant historiography: contextualising 'Upon Appleton House' Gary D. Hamilton; 9. Entering The Temple: women, reading and devotion in seventeenth-century England Helen Wilcox; 10. Contextualising Dryden's Absolom: William Lawrence, the laws of marriage and the case for King Monmouth Mark Goldie; 11. Reformation in the Restoration crisis, 1679-1682 Gary S. De Krey; 12. Shadwell's dramatic trimming, Steven Pincus.
This collection of essays by historians and literary scholars treats English history and culture from the Reformation to the Glorious Revolution as a single coherent period in which religion is a dominant element in political and cultural life.
Demonstrates the centrality of religion to Post-Reformation English history, culture, and politics.
- Verlag: Cambridge University Press
- Seitenzahl: 296
- Erscheinungstermin: 9. August 2003
- Abmessung: 235mm x 157mm x 22mm
- Gewicht: 610g
- ISBN-13: 9780521474566
- ISBN-10: 0521474566
- Artikelnr.: 21067068