- Pediatric Obesity (eBook, PDF)120,95 €
- Antiepileptic Drugs and Pregnancy (eBook, PDF)64,95 €
- Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition (eBook, PDF)56,95 €
- tolino shine 3118,00 €
- Nutrition and Diet in Maternal Diabetes (eBook, PDF)120,95 €
- Dyspepsia in Clinical Practice (eBook, PDF)68,95 €
- Bioactive Compounds and Cancer (eBook, PDF)256,95 €
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Springer-Verlag GmbH
- Erscheinungstermin: 22.01.2009
- ISBN-13: 9781603272896
- Artikelnr.: 37362886
I Introductory Chapters
1. Basics of GI Physiology and Mucosal Immunology (A Fasano)
This introductory chapter will provide an overview of the gastrointestinal physiology and mucosal immunity as it relates to the gut with its microflora and its role in the overall health of the child.
2. Basics of Gut Microflora (G Tannock)
This chapter will cover the significance of microflora and the traditional and molecular advances in identifying gut microflora.
3. Role of Microflora in Disease (M. Relman).
The focus of this chapter is to review the role of microflora in gastrointestinal disorders with a focus on inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome. A review of the role of microflora in non-gastrointestinal disease such as atopic disorders will be included.
4. Probiotics 101 (WA Walker).
This chapter will provide the history of probiotic use and the basics for probiotic concepts as it relates to children.
5. Mechanism of Action of Probiotics (B Polk).
This chapter will review the basic research pertaining to the mechanism of action of probiotics as evidence by cellular/molecular studies as well as animal studies.
6. Safety of Probiotics (D Mack).
The safety of the different types and forms of probiotics will be reviewed with a focus on children.
Michail, Probiotics-p. 4
II Infant Health and Probiotics
7. Neonatal and Infant Microflora (JI Gordon)
This chapter will identify the development of microflora in the newborn infant and the factors that affect the composition of microflora such as breast feeding versus formula feeding, age of infant and child, mode of child delivery etc...
8. Probiotics in Infant Dietetics (Agostoni).
This chapter will review the evidence, or lack thereof,to support the benefit of adding probiotics to infant formulas or infant foods.
9. Probiotics and Nectrotizing Enterocolits (Zvi Weizman).
The focus of this chapter will be the role of probiotics and prevention or treatment of necrotizing enterocolitis.
III Pediatric GI and Related Diseases - Is There a Role for Probiotics?
10. Irritable Bowel Disease (S Michail).
A review of the literature with regards to irritable bowel syndrome will be presented in this chapter. Pediatric data will be reviewed.
11. Infectious Diarrhea (G Fuchs) The role of probiotics in treating and preventing infectious diarrhea in pediatric patients will be covered in this chapter.
12. Crohn's Disease (A Bousvaros)
The role of probiotics in treatment and prevention of relapse of Crohn's disease will be reviewed in this chapter. Pediatric data will be discussed as well.
13. Ulcerative Colitis (PM Fedorak)
The role of probiotics in treatment and prevention of relapse of ulcerative colitis will be reviewed in this chapter. Any pediatric data will be reviewed.
14. Pouchitis (P Gionchetti)
The role of probiotics in prevention and treatment of pouchits will be reviewed in this chapter. Pediatric data will be discussed as well.
15. Antibiotic-associated Diarrhea and Clostridium difficile Infection
The role of probiotics and treatment and prevention of these disorders with review of the evidence and meta-analysis will be discussed in this chapter.
16. Probiotics in the Immune-compromised Host (T Poussa).
This chapter will review the published studies related to the use of probiotics in various disorders affecting the host immune response and immunocompromised states.
Michail, Probiotics-p. 5
17. H. Pylori Infection (PM
"Dr. Bendich writes an excellent introduction placing the importance of probiotics in the field of biology and medicine. ... There is a great deal of valuable information in this book. ... Overall, the information in this book is good. Anyone working in the field of probiotics should have it on their shelf. ... anyone intensely interested in probiotics and familiar with the literature would find the chapters written by these experts helpful." (Martin H. Floch, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, Vol. 43 (7), August, 2009)
"Probiotics in Pediatric Medicine ... providing an excellent, thorough, and complete reference text focused on the normal physiology of gut microbiota in children and the role of probiotic bacteria in childhood health and disease. The purpose of this book is to help clinicians, particularly pediatricians ... . For the student or trainee, it is an excellent resource for building a knowledge base in probiotics ... . Probiotics in Pediatric Medicine is a valuable resource and well worth reading for anyone interested in probiotics ... ." (Jeffry A. Katz, Gastroenterology, Vol. 138, 2010)
"Probiotics in Pediatric Medicine provides an excellent resource covering the basics of GI physiology and the complex nature of gut immunity, the microflora within the human gut, and especially its development during the neonatal period. ... contains more than 30 detailed tables and informative figures, an extensive, detailed index, and more than 1600 reference citations that provide the reader with excellent sources of reliable information ... . This compendium will serve the reader as the primary reference in this complex area ... ." (Michael J. Glade, Nutrition, Vol. 26, 2010)