- Richard III (Penguin Monarchs) (eBook, ePUB)6,99 €
- tolino shine 3118,99 €
- Henry VII (Penguin Monarchs) (eBook, ePUB)11,99 €
- William I (Penguin Monarchs) (eBook, ePUB)4,99 €
- John (Penguin Monarchs) (eBook, ePUB)6,49 €
- Athelstan (Penguin Monarchs) (eBook, ePUB)4,99 €
- Aethelred the Unready (Penguin Monarchs) (eBook, ePUB)6,49 €
With the nobility of England and Normandy anxious about the prospect of a world without the tough love of the old king Henry I, Stephen styled himself a political panacea, promising strength without oppression. As external threats and internal resistance to his rule accumulated, it was a promise he was unable to keep. Unable to transcend his flawed claim to the throne, and to make the transition from nobleman to king, Stephen's actions betrayed uneasiness in his role, his royal voice never quite ringing true.
The resulting violence that spread throughout England was not, or not only, the work of bloodthirsty men on the make. As Watkins shows in this resonant new portrait, it arose because great men struggled to navigate a new and turbulent kind of politics that arose when the king was in eclipse.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.