- The Great Road: The Building of the Baltimore and Ohio, the Nation's First Railroad, 1828-185340,99 €
- Virginia & Truckee Railroad: Railroad to the Comstock21,99 €
- The Wilmington, Brunswick & Southern Railroad21,99 €
- Traces of the Ann Arbor Railroad22,99 €
- Museum of the American Railroad22,99 €
- Along the Valley Line: The History of the Connecticut Valley Railroad28,99 €
- Western & Atlantic Railroad18,99 €
After the Civil War, the building of the transcontinental railroad was the nineteenth century's most transformative event. Beginning in 1842 with a visionary's dream to span the continent with twin bands of iron, Empire Express captures three dramatic decades in which the United States effectively doubled in size, fought three wars, and began to discover a new national identity. From self--made entrepreneurs such as the Union Pacific's Thomas Durant and era--defining figures such as President Lincoln to the thousands of laborers whose backbreaking work made the railroad possible, this extraordinary narrative summons an astonishing array of voices to give new dimension not only to this epic endeavor but also to the culture, political struggles, and social conflicts of an unforgettable period in American history.