- The Peopling of East Asia (eBook, PDF)29,95
- Coal-Mining Women in Japan (eBook, PDF)31,95
- Overexploitation or Sustainable Management? Action Patterns of the Tropical Timber Industry (eBook, PDF)100,95
- The Economic Effort of War (Routledge Revivals) (eBook, PDF)26,95
- China's Past, China's Future (eBook, PDF)31,95
- The Evolution of Urban Society (eBook, PDF)32,95
- Routledge Handbook of Premodern Japanese History (eBook, PDF)34,95
This book examines the history of agriculture in premodern Japan from the 8th to the 17th century, dealing with the history of agricultural techniques and food supply of rice, wheat, millet and other grains. Drawing extensively on material from history, literature, archaeology, ethnography and botany, it analyses each of the farming operations from sowing to harvesting, and the customs pertaining to consumption. It also challenges the widespread theory that rice cultivation has been the basis of "Japaneseness" for two millennia and the foundation of Japanese civilization by focusing on the biodiversity and polycultural traditions of Japan. Further, it will play a role in the current dialogue on the future of sustainable agricultural production from the viewpoints of ecology, biodiversity, dietary culture and food security throughout the world as traditional techniques such as crop rotation are explored in connection with the safeguarding of the minerals in the soil.
Surveying agricultural techniques across the centuries and highlighting the dietary diversity of Japan, this book will appeal to students and scholars of Japanese history, the history of science and technology, medieval history, cultural anthropology and agriculture.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GB, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Taylor & Francis Ltd.
- Seitenzahl: 370
- Erscheinungstermin: 22.02.2016
- ISBN-13: 9781317504504
- Artikelnr.: 44783040