Challenges, Prevention, and Interventions
Edited by Gerhard Meyer, University of Bremen, Germany
Tobias Hayer, University of Bremen, Germany
Mark Griffiths, Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom
As a leisure activity, gambling dates back to ancient times. More recently, the surge in avenues for gambling-casinos, sports betting, lotteries, and remote media (e.g.,Internet, mobile phone, interactive television) among them-finds growing numbers of people losing control over their gambling behaviour, usually at great personal and financial expense. Problem Gambling in Europe is the first book to offer a robust international knowledge base compiled by an interdisciplinary panel of researchers in gambling behaviour.
Reports from 21 countries throughout Western, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Europe reveal wide variations in types of wagering activities, participation by populations, social and criminal consequences related to pathological gambling, the extent to which governments acknowledge the problem, and efforts to control it (often with the involvement of the gaming industries). For each country, noted experts discuss:
- Current legislation regulating gambling.
- Forms of gambling and their addictive potential.
- Participation rates and demographics.
- Prevalence of pathological gambling.
- National policies to address problem gambling.
- Prevention strategies and treatment methods.
Problem Gambling in Europe brings insight and clarity to a widespread and complex phenomenon, and will be of considerable interest to all parties working to reduce their negative effects: social science researchers in addictions, gambling behaviour, and public health; clinical, social, and health psychologists and psychiatrists; treatment practitioners; the gaming industry; regulators; and policy makers.
- Verlag: Springer / Springer New York / Springer, Berlin
- Artikelnr. des Verlages: 11735694
- Erscheinungstermin: 27. Februar 2009
- Abmessung: 260mm x 183mm x 25mm
- Gewicht: 814g
- ISBN-13: 9780387094854
- ISBN-10: 0387094857
- Artikelnr.: 23811278
- Alex Blaszczynski, PhD, International Gambling Studies, Vol. 9, No. 2, August 2009
"This new publication is an extremely useful work, and the editors and publishers are to be congratulated for providing such a comprehensive and informative reference piece on not only problem gambling issues in Europe, but on other aspects of gambling as well..."
- Peter Collins, Journal of Gambling Issues: Issue 23, June 2009
"This book is extremely important, a "must have"... One of the best I've seen in the past 20 years that I have been working in this field."
- Pieter Remmers, European Association for the Study of Gambling, www.easg.org