- Studies in the History of the English Language III126,99 €
- The Reign of Truth and Faith111,99 €
- The Grammar of the English Tense System240,00 €
- Layering of Size and Type Noun Constructions in English103,99 €
- Deconstructing the English Passive119,99 €
- Rhythmic Grammar164,95 €
- A Cognitive-Functional Approach to Nominalization in English129,95 €
In the current volume, the editors invited contributors to reflect upon their approaches and practices in undertaking historical studies, focusing particularly on the methods deployed in selecting and analyzing data. The essays in this volume represent interests in the study of linguistic change in English that range across different periods, genres, and aspects of the language and show different approaches and use of evidence to deal with the subject. They also represent the current state of research in the field and the nature of the debates in which scholars and historians engage as regards the nature of the evidence adduced in the explanation of change and the robustness of heuristics.
The editors share a strong interest in examining the evidence that informs and grounds research in their fields at the same time as interrogating the heuristics employed by their colleagues for the histories they present. The contributions to the volume give expression to these interests. Contributors are: Richard Hogg (to whose memory the volume is dedicated), William Labov, Elizabeth Traugott, Rob Fulk, Thomas Cable, Jennifer Tran-Smith, Charles Li, Christina Fitzgerald, David Denison, Christopher Palmer, Don Chapman, Graeme Trousdale, Joan Beal, Connie Eble, Stefan Dollinger and Raymond Hickey.
The volume is of interest to scholars and postgraduate and research students in the history of English, English philology, and (English) historical linguistics.
- Topics in English Linguistics [TiEL] 61
- Verlag: De Gruyter / De Gruyter Mouton
- Seitenzahl: 444
- Erscheinungstermin: 17. November 2008
- Abmessung: 236mm x 160mm x 28mm
- Gewicht: 754g
- ISBN-13: 9783110205879
- ISBN-10: 3110205874
- Artikelnr.: 24856957