- Stereotypes and Self-Representations of Women with a Muslim Background74,99 €
- Hispanic (LGT) Masculinities in Transition72,70 €
- Decolonizing and Feminizing Freedom58,99 €
- Community Action in a Contested Society27,50 €
- Reluctant Modernization47,40 €
- The Pathologisation of Homosexuality in Fascist Italy44,99 €
- The Pathologisation of Homosexuality in Fascist Italy54,99 €
Why does the idea of femininity not seem to «fit» with muscular women?
Why are muscular women the object of such controversy and skepticism?
Why do some women build muscle despite these strong cultural reactions?
Muscular women have long been the focus of public scrutiny, cultural contempt and fascination. Sculpting the Woman interrogates the protected status of femininity as it has been rendered irrelevant to the history, theory and politics of the muscular woman. This highly original and provocative work draws on important social thinkers including Michel Foucault and Judith Butler as well as recent theoretical developments on gender, identity and the body in poststructuralism, psychoanalysis, various feminisms and social and moral philosophy. This book offers a personal insight into one of the most threatening of cultural identities: the «muscular female». Through its analysis of femininity's complex relationship with muscularity, it explores the larger question: «What is a woman?»
- Queering Paradigms .8
- Verlag: Peter Lang Ltd. International Academic Publishers
- Artikelnr. des Verlages: 16583
- Erscheinungstermin: 28. Februar 2017
- Abmessung: 225mm x 150mm x 12mm
- Gewicht: 330g
- ISBN-13: 9781906165833
- ISBN-10: 1906165831
- Artikelnr.: 45631263