- Der Triumphbogen des Septimius Severus und die historischen Reliefs der Partherkriege44,99 €
- Der Severusbogen im historischen Kontext. Septimius Severus und die Partherkriege24,99 €
- Septimius Severus27,99 €
- Über Lucians Schrift Loukios e Onos und ihr Verhaeltniss zu Lucius von Patrae12,90 €
- Sieg und Beute. Das Pfeilermonument des Lucius Aemilius Paullus13,99 €
- Shadow Strike: Inside Israel's Secret Mission to Eliminate Syrian Nuclear Power28,99 €
- Das Kollegiatstift St. Martin und St. Severus zu Münstermaifeld. Die Bistümer der Kirchenprovinz Trier. Das Erzbistum Trier 12175,95 €
A fresh reassessment of one of the most controversial figures of the her time, this book examines key questions in the study of Domna, her power, her travels and her life.
Back cover copy
This book covers Julia’s life, and charts her travels throughout the Empire from Aswan to York during a period of profound upheaval, seeking the truth about this woman who inspired such extreme and contrasting views, exposing the instability of our sources about her, and characterizing a sympathetic, courageous, intelligent, and important woman.
This book contains a fresh reassessment of the one of the most significant figures of her time and questions:
• Was Julia more powerful than earlier empresses?
• Did she really promote despotism?
• How seriously is her literary circle to be taken?
As part of a dynasty which used force and violence to preserve its rule, she was distrusted by its subjects; as a Syrian, she was the object of prejudice; as a woman with power, she was resented. On the other hand, Domna was the centre of a literary circle considered highly significant by nineteenth-century admirers.
- Women of the Ancient World
- Verlag: Taylor & Francis Ltd
- Seitenzahl: 288
- Erscheinungstermin: 11. Mai 2007
- Abmessung: 241mm x 164mm x 25mm
- Gewicht: 597g
- ISBN-13: 9780415331432
- ISBN-10: 0415331439
- Artikelnr.: 21505664