- European Literature and the Latin Middle Ages (eBook, PDF)36,95 €
- Managing Egypt's Poor and the Politics of Benevolence, 1800-1952 (eBook, PDF)17,95 €
- History of Linguistic Thought in the Early Middle Ages (eBook, PDF)118,95 €
- History of Grammar in the Middle Ages (eBook, PDF)118,95 €
- Etymology and Grammatical Discourse in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages (eBook, PDF)120,95 €
- Freres et sA urs du Moyen Age a nos jours / Brothers and Sisters from the Middle Ages to the Present (eBook, PDF)107,95 €
- Explorations in the English Language: Middle Ages and Beyond (eBook, PDF)72,95 €
In the past, most of what we knew of the poor in the Middle Ages came from records and observations compiled by their literate social superiors, from tax collectors to the inquisitor's clerk, from criminal judges to the benefactors of the helpless, from makers of Islamic waqf deeds to authors of Arabic chronicles, and in Judaism, from Rabbis who wrote responsa to compilers of Jewish-law codes.
What distinguishes this book is that it contains the voices of the poor themselves, found in documents heretofore largely ignored. Because an ancient custom in Judaism prohibited the destruction of pages of sacred writing, the documents were preserved, largely unharmed, for as many as nine centuries.
The Voice of the Poor in the Middle Ages provides access to the attitudes and philanthropic activities of the charitable, alongside the dramatic writings of the poor themselves, whether penned in their own hands or dictated to a scribe or family member. The book also allows a rare glimpse into the women of the Middle Ages, as well as into the world of private charity--an area long elusive to the medieval historian. For researchers and students alike, this book will be an invaluable social history source for years to come.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Princeton University Press
- Seitenzahl: 224
- Erscheinungstermin: 28. November 2013
- ISBN-13: 9781400850617
- Artikelnr.: 41835910