- Island Stories: Britain and Its History in the Age of Brexit (eBook, ePUB)12,99 €
- Britain's Europe (eBook, ePUB)9,49 €
- Let's re-Great Britain (eBook, ePUB)10,99 €
- tolino shine 3109,00 €
- Bertie Ahern: The Man Who Blew the Boom (eBook, ePUB)3,99 €
- English nationalism, Brexit and the Anglosphere (eBook, ePUB)21,95 €
- Independence or Union (eBook, ePUB)9,49 €
In 2011 Queen Elizabeth made her first ever state visit to the Irish Republic. It was a great, moving occasion. 'In settling once and for all its relationship with Ireland,' Fintan O'Toole writes, 'Britain was also settling its relationship with the rest of the world taking its place as a normal, equal democracy.'
It was not to last.
Three Years in Hell is the fiercely intelligent, funny and sorrowful record of a slow-motion catastrophe. At its heart is the enigma of English nationalism. On the morning after the 2016 referendum O'Toole wrote:
'It is a question the English used to ask about their subject peoples: are they ready for self-government? But it is now one that has to be asked about the English themselves... England seems to be stumbling towards a national independence it has scarcely even discussed, let alone prepared for. It is on the brink of one of history's strangest nationalist revolutions.'
The story culminates in the election of Boris Johnson, running against a weak, accidental Labour leader who promised to remain 'neutral' on the most important question of our time.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GB, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Head of Zeus
- Seitenzahl: 400
- Erscheinungstermin: 05.03.2020
- ISBN-13: 9781838935221
- Artikelnr.: 58560930