- The Variability of Current World Englishes (eBook, PDF)77,95 €
- tolino shine 3109,00 €
- Aperçu grammatical du faisceau dialectal arabe andalou (eBook, ePUB)101,95 €
- Australian Aboriginal English (eBook, ePUB)85,95 €
- Ditransitives in British English Dialects (eBook, ePUB)77,95 €
- El castellano de Getxo (eBook, ePUB)108,95 €
- I 'Ricettari di segreti' nel Regno di Sicilia ('400-'600) (eBook, ePUB)77,95 €
Faces of English explores the phenomenon of increasing dialects, varieties, and creoles, even as the spread of globalization supports an apparently growing uniformity among nations. The book's chapters supply descriptions of Jamaican English in Toronto, English as an L2 in a South African mining township, Chinese and English contact in Singapore, unexpected, emergent variants in Canadian English, and innovations in the English of West Virginia. Further, the book offers some perspective on internet English as well as on abiding uniformities in the lexicon and grammar of standard varieties. In the analyses of this heterogeneous growth such considerations as speakers' sociolinguistic profiles, phonological, morpho-syntactic, and lexical variables, frequencies, and typological patterns provide ample insight in the current status of English both in oral and electronic communities. The opening chapter presents a theoretical framework that argues for linguistic typology as conceptually resourceful in accommodating techniques of analysis and in distinguishing the wide arrays of English found throughout the globe. One clear function for Faces of English is that of a catalyst: to spur studies of diversities in English (and in other languages), to suggest approaches to adapt, to invite counterargument and developments in analysis.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GB, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Gruyter, Walter de GmbH
- Seitenzahl: 295
- Erscheinungstermin: 27.08.2014
- ISBN-13: 9783110394917
- Artikelnr.: 44418628