- Historical Dictionary of Burma (Myanmar) (eBook, ePUB)120,95 €
- The Hidden History of Burma: Race, Capitalism, and the Crisis of Democracy in the 21st Century (eBook, ePUB)11,95 €
- X Platoon (eBook, ePUB)5,49 €
- tolino shine 385,00 €
- 1000 Days on the River Kwai (eBook, ePUB)4,99 €
- Burma (eBook, ePUB)8,95 €
- The Burmese Labyrinth (eBook, ePUB)25,95 €
In The River of Lost Footsteps, Thant Myint-U tells the story of modern Burma, in part through a telling of his own family's history, in an interwoven narrative that is by turns lyrical, dramatic, and appalling. His maternal grandfather, U Thant, rose from being the schoolmaster of a small town in the Irrawaddy Delta to become the UN secretary-general in the 1960s. And on his father's side, the author is descended from a long line of courtiers who served at Burma's Court of Ava for nearly two centuries. Through their stories and others, he portrays Burma's rise and decline in the modern world, from the time of Portuguese pirates and renegade Mughal princes through the decades of British colonialism, the devastation of World War II, a sixty-year civil war that continues today, military repression and the immergence of Nobel Prize laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
The River of Lost Footsteps is a work both personal and global, a distinctive contribution that makes Burma accessible and enthralling. Thant Myint-U is the author of Where China Meets India and has written articles for the New York Times, the Washington Post and the New Statesman.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, D ausgeliefert werden.