- "Getting By" (eBook, ePUB)11,95 €
- Chinese Working-Class Lives (eBook, ePUB)0,00 €
- tolino shine 3109,00 €
- Latinas Crossing Borders and Building Communities in Greater Washington (eBook, ePUB)74,95 €
- Salvage (eBook, ePUB)12,95 €
- The Broken Village (eBook, ePUB)9,95 €
- Driving toward Modernity (eBook, ePUB)11,95 €
Since the 1960s, Yunnanese Chinese migrants of Burma have dominated the transnational trade in opium, jade, and daily consumption goods. Wen-Chin Chang writes with deep knowledge of this trade's organization from the 1960s of mule-driven caravans to the use of modern transportation, and she reconstructs trading routes while examining embedded sociocultural meanings. These Yunnanese migrants' mobility attests to the prevalence of travel not only by the privileged but also by different kinds of people. Their narratives disclose individual life processes as well as networks of connections, modes of transportation, and differences between the experiences of men and women. Through traveling they have carried on the mobile livelihoods of their predecessors, expanding overland trade beyond its historical borderlands between Yunnan and upland Southeast Asia to journeys further afield by land, sea, and air.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GB, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Cornell University Press
- Seitenzahl: 296
- Altersempfehlung: ab 18 Jahre
- Erscheinungstermin: 16.01.2015
- ISBN-13: 9780801454509
- Artikelnr.: 48787125