- Turkish Studies in the History and Philosophy if Science (eBook, PDF)128,95 €
- Current Themes in Theoretical Biology (eBook, PDF)48,95 €
- tolino shine 395,00 €
- RETHINKING EXPLANATION (eBook, PDF)112,95 €
- Underdetermination (eBook, PDF)128,95 €
- Ursachen (eBook, PDF)19,95 €
- Theories of Intensionality (eBook, PDF)71,95 €
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Springer-Verlag GmbH
- Erscheinungstermin: 4. Oktober 2007
- ISBN-13: 9781402038389
- Artikelnr.: 37342521
1. Empiricism vs. realism - the perennial debate in the philosophy of science.
2. Fundamental and refined principles: the core of modern science.
3. Empirical laws: the supervention of experience.
4. Scientific theories: closing the circle.
5. The principle-theory-law model of scientific explanation.
6. The social sciences: a consideration of economics.
7. Natural kinds.
8. Probability and confirmation.
9. Empiricism vs. realism revisited.
10. Modern science and the future.
"Dilworth does not content himself with a mere philosophical analysis of the phenomenon of modern science, but tries to draw a lesson from the analysis applicable to the actual practice of science. Whereas in its beginnings modern science was a paradigm of open-mindedness, it is now in danger of becomming an ideology, due to its refusal to reflect on its own principles. The Metaphysics of Science performs the much-needed function of opening the doors to such reflection - both for professional philosophers and scientists themselves''. (L.E. Fleischhacker, Epistemologia)
From the reviews of the second edition:
"Craig Dilworth's second edition of The Metaphysics of Science contains the main text of an ambitious philosophical treatment intended to resolve realist-empiricist debates about the nature of science ... . This book is worthwhile for philosophers of science and could profitably be assigned as reserve text for upper level undergraduate courses in history and philosophy of science of metaphysics. ... Dilworth's main aim is to propose and defend a metaphysics of science based on three ontological principles, uniformity of nature, substance, and causality." (Robert L. Muhlnickel, Metapsychology Online Reviews, Vol. 12 (22), May, 2008)
"Science makes metaphysical presuppositions. I must ... at once declare an interest. ... According to Dilworth, the three metaphysical principles constitute 'the core of modern science' ... . They guide research and provide methodological rules. ... Dilworth suggests that we need a new metaphysical paradigm for a new kind of science. ... this book propounds an immensely important idea-even if one that received a much improved formulation at least twelve years before publication of the first edition." (Nicholas Maxwell, International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, August, 2009)