- Retirement Home? Ageing migrant workers in France and the question of return33,99 €
- Galician Migrations: A Case Study of Emerging Super-diversity83,99 €
- Ukrainian Migration to the European Union27,99 €
- South-North Migration of EU Citizens in Times of Crisis27,99 €
- Analysing China's Population39,99 €
- Labor Migration, EU Enlargement, and the Great Recession84,99 €
- Applied Multiregional Demography: Migration and Population Redistribution44,99 €
The book first offers comparative accounts of ethnic statistics. It compares and empirically tests two perspectives for understanding national ethnic enumeration practices in a global context based on national census questionnaires and population registration forms for over 200 countries between 1990 to 2006.
Next, the book explores enumeration and identity politics with chapters that cover the debate on ethnic and racial statistics in France, ethnic and linguistic categories in Québec, Brazilian ethnoracial classification and affirmative action policies and the Hispanic/Latino identity and the United States census.
The third, and final, part of the book examines measurement issues and competing claims. It explores such issues as the complexity of measuring diversity using Malaysia as an example, social inequalities and indigenous populations in Mexico and the demographic explosion of aboriginal populations in Canada from 1986 to 2006.
Overall, the book sheds light on four main questions: should ethnic groups be counted, how should they be counted, who is and who is not counted and what are the political and economic incentives for counting. It will be of interest to all students of race, ethnicity, identity, and immigration. In addition, researchers as well as policymakers will find useful discussions and insights for a better understanding of the complexity of categorization and related
political and policy challenges.
- IMISCOE Research Series
- Verlag: IMISCOE / Institut national d'études démographiques (INED) / Quebec Inter-University Centre for Soci
- Artikelnr. des Verlages: 978-3-319-20094-1
- 1st ed. 2015
- Seitenzahl: 252
- Erscheinungstermin: 27. August 2015
- Abmessung: 241mm x 160mm x 19mm
- Gewicht: 522g
- ISBN-13: 9783319200941
- ISBN-10: 3319200941
- Artikelnr.: 42757371