- Crafting in the World90,99 €
- Archaeology of the Communist Era83,99 €
- Collision or Collaboration59,99 €
- Heritage in Action62,99 €
- Handbook of East and Southeast Asian Archaeology260,99 €
- Ancient West Asian Civilization79,99 €
- Current Perspectives on the Archaeology of African Slavery in Latin America42,99 €
The last several decades have witnessed a rapid increase in the field of cultural heritage studies worldwide. This increase in the number of studies and in interest by the public as well as academics has effected substantial change in the understanding of heritage and approaches to heritage studies. This change has also impacted the perception of communities, how to study and protect the physical residues of heritage, and how to share the knowledge of heritage. It has brought the issue of who has knowledge and how the value of heritage can be shared more effectively with communities who then ascribe meaning and value to heritage materials.
Heritage studies, until a few decades ago, exclusively studied the material culture of the past as part of elitist approaches that completely neglected communities' rights to knowledge of their own heritage. Additionally, heritage practitioners and archaeologists neither shared this knowledge nor engaged with communities about their heritage. Communities were also mostly deprived from contributing to heritage and archaeological studies. This kind of top-down approach was quite common in many parts of the world.
But recent studies and research in the field have shown the importance of including the public in projects, and that sharing the knowledge produced through heritage studies and archaeological works is significant for the protection and preservation of heritage materials; it has finally been understood that excluding the public from heritage is not ethical.
This publication presents a wide array of case studies with different approaches and methods from many parts of the world to answer these questions.
- SpringerBriefs in Archaeology
- Verlag: Springer, Berlin; Springer International Publishing;
- Artikelnr. des Verlages: 978-3-319-68651-6
- 1st ed. 2018
- Erscheinungstermin: 18. Dezember 2017
- Abmessung: 235mm x 155mm x 8mm
- Gewicht: 270g
- ISBN-13: 9783319686516
- ISBN-10: 3319686518
- Artikelnr.: 48990108