- Lyme Disease (eBook, ePUB)116,95 €
- Cracking Anatomy (eBook, ePUB)3,99 €
- The Cancer Chronicles (eBook, ePUB)10,99 €
- Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (eBook, ePUB)8,95 €
- Secrets of the Human Body (eBook, ePUB)6,99 €
- The Pain Management Handbook (eBook, ePUB)3,99 €
- Who Gave Pinta to the Santa Maria?: Torrid Diseases in a Temperate World (eBook, ePUB)10,95 €
So why does disease exist? Moalem proposes that most common ailments—diabetes, hemochromatosis, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia—came into existence for very good reasons. At some point they helped our ancestors survive some grand challenge to their existence. Examining the evolution of man, Moalem reveals the role genetic and cultural differences have played in the health and well-being of various races, including their susceptibility to disease.
With mesmerizing insight, Moalem offers groundbreaking insight into :
• How diabetes may be a biproduct of a mechanism that helped humans survive the Ice Age
• Why African Americans living in the north might suffer from vitamin D deficiencies,
• Why Asians can't drink as much alcohol as Europeans
Revelatory, utterly engaging, and timely—Moalem ponders strongN1, the emerging Avian Flu virus—Why Redheads Feel More Pain and Asians Can't Drink will irrevocably change the way we think about our bodies and ourselves.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: William Morrow
- Seitenzahl: 304
- Erscheinungstermin: 13. Oktober 2009
- ISBN-13: 9780061842245
- Artikelnr.: 37979766