In October 1942, a panzer officer wrote 'Stalingrad is no longer a town... Animals flee this hell; the hardest stones cannot bear it for long; only men endure'.
The battle for Stalingrad became the focus of Hitler and Stalin's determination to win the gruesome, vicious war on the eastern front. The citizens of Stalingrad endured unimaginable hardship; the battle, with fierce hand-to-hand fighting in each room of each building, was brutally destructive to both armies. But the eventual victory of the Red Army, and the failure of Hitler's Operation Barbarossa, was the first defeat of Hitler's territorial ambitions in Europe, and the start of his decline.
An extraordinary story of tactical genius, civilian bravery, obsession, carnage and the nature of war itself, Stalingrad will act as a testament to the vital role of the soviet war effort.
'A superb re-telling. Beevor combines a soldier's understanding of war's realities with the narrative techniques of a novelist . . . This is a book that lets the reader look into the face of battle' Orlando Figes, Sunday Telegraph
'A brilliantly researched tour de force of military history' Sarah Bradford, The Times
Antony Beevor is the renowned author of Stalingrad, which won the Samuel Johnson Prize, the Wolfson Prize for History and the Hawthornden Prize for Literature, and Berlin, which received the first Longman-History Today Trustees' Award. His books have sold nearly four million copies.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: Penguin Books Ltd
- Seitenzahl: 512
- Erscheinungstermin: 04.10.2007
- ISBN-13: 9780141926100
- Artikelnr.: 39122584
Part One. 'The World Will Hold Its Breath'
1. The Double-Edged Sword of Barbarossa 2. 'Nothing is Impossible for the German Soldier!' 3. 'Smash in the Door and the Whole Rotten Structure Will Come Crashing Down!' 4. Hitler's Hubris: The Delayed Battle for Moscow
Part Two. Barbarossa Relaunched
5. General Paulus's First Battle 6. 'How Much Land Does a Man Need?' 7. 'Not One Step Backwards' 8. 'The Volga is Reached!'
Part Three. 'The Fateful City'
9. 'Time is Blood': The September Battles 10. Rattenkrieg 11. Traitors and Allies 12. Fortresses of Rubble and Iron 13. Paulus's Final Assault 14. 'All For the Front!'
Part Four. Zhukov's Trap
15. Operation Uranus 16. Hitler's Obsession 17. 'The Fortress Without a Roof' 18. 'Der Manstein Kommit!' 19. 'Christmas in the German Way'
Part Five. The Subjugation of the Sixth Army
20. The Air-Bridge 21. 'Surrender Out of the Question' 22. 'A German Field Marshall Does Not Commit Suicide with a Pair of Nail Scissors!' 23. 'Stop Dancing! Stalingrad Has Fallen' 24. The City of the Dead 25. The Sword of Stalingrad
Appendix A: German and Soviet Orders of Battle, 19 November 1942 Appendix B: The Statistical Debate: Sixth Army Strength in the Kessel References Source Notes Select Bibliography Index