- The Timbuktu School for Nomads (eBook, ePUB)3,99 €
- The Pirates of Somalia (eBook, ePUB)6,99 €
- tolino shine 3109,00 €
- To Timbuktu for a Haircut (eBook, ePUB)10,87 €
- Surrender or Starve (eBook, ePUB)8,95 €
- Africa's Top Wildlife Countries (eBook, ePUB)14,95 €
- The Lost World of the Kalahari (eBook, ePUB)9,49 €
One of the contenders was Major Alexander Gordon Laing, a thirty-year-old army officer. Handsome and confident, Laing was convinced that Timbuktu was his destiny, and his ticket to glory. In July 1825, after a whirlwind romance with Emma Warrington, daughter of the British consul at Tripoli, Laing left the Mediterranean coast to cross the Sahara. His 2,000-mile journey took on an added urgency when Hugh Clapperton, a more experienced explorer, set out to beat him. Apprised of each other's mission by overseers in London who hoped the two would cooperate, Clapperton instead became Laing's rival, spurring him on across a hostile wilderness.
An emotionally charged, action-packed, utterly gripping read, The Race for Timbuktu offers a close, personal look at the extraordinary people and pivotal events of nineteenth-century African exploration that changed the course of history and the shape of the modern world.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, B, BG, CY, CZ, D, DK, EW, E, FIN, F, GR, HR, H, IRL, I, LT, L, LR, M, NL, PL, P, R, S, SLO, SK ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: HarperCollins e-books
- Seitenzahl: 352
- Erscheinungstermin: 29. März 2011
- ISBN-13: 9780062030375
- Artikelnr.: 38005365