- The People of the Parish (eBook, ePUB)58,95 €
- Spiritual Economies (eBook, ePUB)51,95 €
- The Garden of Delights (eBook, ePUB)53,95 €
- Gender and Christianity in Medieval Europe (eBook, ePUB)16,95 €
- The Manly Priest (eBook, ePUB)46,95 €
- Preachers, Partisans, and Rebellious Religion (eBook, ePUB)60,95 €
- Women in Frankish Society (eBook, ePUB)23,95 €
Scholarship on medieval women's religious experiences has focused primarily on elite women, nuns, and mystics who either were literate enough to leave written records of their religious ideas and behavior or had access to literate men who did this for them. Most women, however, were not literate, were not members of religious orders, and did not have private confessors. As The Good Women of the Parish shows, the great majority of women practiced their religion in a parish church. By looking at women's contributions to parish maintenance, the ways they shaped the liturgy and church seating arrangements, and their increasing opportunities for collective action in all-women's groups, the book argues that gendered behavior was central to parish life and that women's parish activities gave them increasing visibility and even, on occasion, authority. In the face of demands for silence, modesty, and passivity, women of every social status used religious practices as an important source of self-expression, creativity, and agency.
Dieser Download kann aus rechtlichen Gründen nur mit Rechnungsadresse in A, D ausgeliefert werden.
- Verlag: University of Pennsylvania Press, Inc.
- Seitenzahl: 352
- Erscheinungstermin: 12. Februar 2013
- ISBN-13: 9780812201963
- Artikelnr.: 40881595