- Firebrand of Liberty: The Story of Two Black Regiments That Changed the Course of the Civil War (eBook, ePUB)11,95 €
- The Book That Changed America (eBook, ePUB)5,99 €
- Upon the Fields of Battle (eBook, ePUB)34,95 €
- tolino shine 3109,00 €
- Mightier than the Sword: Uncle Tom's Cabin and the Battle for America (eBook, ePUB)9,95 €
- Until Justice Be Done: America's First Civil Rights Movement, from the Revolution to Reconstruction (eBook, ePUB)15,95 €
- S & L Hell: The People and the Politics Behind the $1 Trillion Savings and Loan Scandal (eBook, ePUB)12,95 €
In December 1862, the Battle of Fredericksburg shattered Union forces and threatened to break apart Abraham Lincoln's government. Five extraordinary individuals experienced Fredericksburg's cataclysmic repercussions—Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., Walt Whitman, Louisa May Alcott, John Pelham, and Arthur Fuller. Guided by duty, driven by desire, they moved toward lofty destinies: a young Harvard intellectual steeped in courageous ideals, a gay Brooklyn poet condemned by guardians of propriety, a struggling writer desperate to serve the cause and gain her philosopher father's admiration, a West Point cadet from Alabama excelling in artillery tactics, and a one-eyed minister seeking to prove his manhood.
Because of what they saw and suffered, America, too, would never be the same. In A Worse Place Than Hell, John Matteson creates a gripping tale of the Civil War and profound cultural transformation. He etches an exquisite portrait, revealing through these lives how America was redefined by its most tragic conflict.
- Verlag: W. W. Norton & Company
- Seitenzahl: 480
- Erscheinungstermin: 09.02.2021
- ISBN-13: 9780393247084
- Artikelnr.: 59751071