- The Development of Celie in 'The Color Purple'14,99 €
- Male Domination and Female Resistance22,99 €
- Alice Walker's Use of Epistolary Narrative in "The Color Purple"13,99 €
- "The Color Purple" by Alice Walker - an Analysis13,99 €
- Telling and Writing as Means of Liberation in The Color Purple10,99 €
- Hopes and dreams of black US citizens as portrayed in Lorraine Hansberry's "A Raisin in the Sun"13,99 €
- The spread of Cockney throughout the English speaking world13,99 €
Georgia in the 1930's. It is narrated through the letters of Celie, the protagonist, who
begins to write to God in order to tell him about her life, since her step-father sexually
abused her and told her to never tell anyone but God about it. When Celie starts to
write, she is 14 years old. Through the epistolary style of the novel, the reader gains a
good, more personal and subjective impression of Celies mental and physical condition,
and also of the situation she is growing up in, as she writes down everything she can not
tell anyone else. Also, the fact that Celie writes as she speaks intensifies the impression
that the reader is in a conversation with her. She is not trying to impress anyone with
what she writes down, but to deal with what happened to her.
In the course of the novel, the reader is introduced to the characters that play a role in
her life, as well as the relationships she has with them. Interestingly, she never gives
away the names of male persons like her step-father or husband, but calls them "He" or
"Pa" or "Mr___". The names of males that are younger than her are mentioned.
Celie is exposed to undergoing a major change in her personality and situation, that in
the end lead to her financial, emotional and spiritual independence and freedom.
In this exam paper, I want to focus on the indications that make it possible for Celie to
develop her personality in such many directions, and I want to have a look at what or
who might bar her from doing so. Therefore I am first going to analyse the relationships
between Celie and the characters that are important for this topic and second have a
look at the symbols and indicators that are used by the author throughout the novel in
order to show that a change is going on.
After displaying this, I want to draw a conclusion from it, sum up my findings and give
a short reading response.
- Akademische Schriftenreihe V202809
- Verlag: GRIN Verlag
- 1. Auflage
- Seitenzahl: 16
- Erscheinungstermin: 28. Oktober 2012
- Abmessung: 210mm x 148mm x 1mm
- Gewicht: 66g
- ISBN-13: 9783656293484
- ISBN-10: 3656293481
- Artikelnr.: 36688719