- Verlag: John Wiley & Sons
- Seitenzahl: 292
- Erscheinungstermin: 26. Februar 2001
- Abmessung: 240mm x 161mm x 20mm
- Gewicht: 607g
- ISBN-13: 9780631189190
- ISBN-10: 063118919X
- Artikelnr.: 22370764
1. The Swahili Coast.
3. The Acceptance of Islam.
4. The Swahili Coast and the Indian Ocean World.
5. The Trading System of the Swahili Coast.
6. The Urban Landscape.
7. The Social Landscape.
8. Governance and Politics.
9. The Swahili in a Changing World.
10. Constructing the Mercantile Landscape.
"Despite their high profile, the identity of the Swahili hasbeen elusive to define. The sensible discussion of this issue byHorton & Middleton should finally put this question to rest ...The Swahili is a fine addition to the series on the peoplesof Africa published by Blackwell. South African ArchaeologicalBulletin
"Well supplied with maps and plates depicting locales,excavations, and architecture, the book will be useful to a generalreadership, as well as to younger scholars interested in theAfrican littoral. The archeological chapters are veryinformative."Greg Cameron, Journal of the Royal AnthropologicalInstitute