Modern Algeria, Second Edition: The Origins and Development of a Nation
66 ebmiles sammeln
Versandfertig in über 4 Wochen
Alle Preise inkl. MwSt.
Modern Algeria, Second Edition: The Origins and Development of a NationA thoroughly up-to-date revision of a landmark textbook.
The second edition of Modern Algeria brings readers up to date with the outcome of the 2004 Algerian elections. Providing thorough coverage of the 1990s and the end of the Algerian Civil War, it addresses issues such as secularist struggles against fundamentalist Islam, ethnic and regional distinctions, gender, language, the evolution of popular culture, and political and economic relationships with France and the expatriate community. Updated information on resources enhances the usefulness of this popular textbook that has become a standard in the field.
John Ruedy is Emeritus Professor of History at Georgetown University. He is author of Land Policy in Colonial Algeria and Islamism and Secularism in North Africa and has served most recently as the North Africa editor for the Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East and North Africa.
Praise for the first edition:
"Essential reading for Maghreb specialists as well as for anyone interested in issues of nation-building and political culture in Africa." -Africa Today
"The best and most comprehensive history of modern Algeria in English." -Digest of Middle East Studies
"A thoughtful and much-needed introductory historical analysis of Algeria." -Choice
- Verlag: Indiana University Press
- 2nd ed.
- Ausstattung/Bilder: 2nd ed. 2005. X, 290 p. w. 7 maps.
- Seitenzahl: 344
- Abmessung: 235mm x 162mm x 24mm
- Gewicht: 542g
- ISBN-13: 9780253217820
- ISBN-10: 0253217822
- Best.Nr.: 21859073
- List of Maps
- Preface to the Second Edition
- Preface to the First Edition
- ONE Introduction
- TWO Ottoman Algeria and Its Legacy
- THREE Invasion, Resistance, and Colonization, 1830-1871
- FOUR The Colonial System and the Transformation of Algerian Society, 1871-1919
- FIVE The Algerian Nationalist Movement, 1919-1954
- SIX The War of Independence, 1954-1962
- SEVEN The Challenges of Independence, 1962-1978
- EIGHT The Bendjedid Years-Readjustment and Crisis
- NINE Insurgency and the Pursuit of Democracy
- Appendix-Place Names
- Bibliographical Essay