- Verlag: John Wiley & Sons
- Seitenzahl: 480
- ISBN-13: 9781444312027
- ISBN-10: 1444312022
- Best.Nr.: 37343859
Foreword by Hans Kruuk.
1. Reintroduction of Top-order Predators: Using Science to restore one of the drivers of biodiversity Matt W. Hayward & Michael J. Somers .
2. A critical assessment of South Africa's managed metapopulation recovery strategy for African wild dogs and its value as a template for large carnivore conservation elsewhere Harriet T. Davies-Mostert, M. Gus L. Mills & David W. Macdonald.
3. Reintroduction decisions taken at the incorrect social scale devalue their conservation contribution: the African lion in South Africa Rob Slotow & Luke T.B. Hunter .
4. Recovery of Eurasian lynx in Europe: what part has reintroduction played? John D. C. Linnell, Urs Breitenmoser, Christine Breitenmoser-Würsten, John Odden & Manuela von Arx.
5. Reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone National Park: History, values and ecosystem restoration.
Douglas W. Smith & Edward E. Bangs .
6. Aspects and Implications of Bear Reintroduction Joseph D. Clark.
7. Tiger reintroduction in India: conservation tool or costly dream? A. J. T. Johnsingh & M. D. Madhusudan.
8. Snow Leopards: Is reintroduction the best option? Rodney M Jackson and Som B. Ale.
9. The Suitability of the Jaguar ( Panthera onca ) for Reintroduction (what we know, what we need to know) Marcella J. Kelly & Scott Silver.
10. The status and conservation of leopards and other large carnivores in the Congo Basin, and the potential role of reintroduction Philipp Henschel .
11. Reintroducing the dingo: can Australia's conservation wastelands be restored? Chris R. Dickman, Alistair S. Glen & Mike Letnic .
12. The role of social behaviour in carnivore reintroductions Michael J. Somers & Markus Gusset .
13. Survival of cheetahs relocated from ranchland to fenced protected areas in South Africa Kelly Marnewick, Matt W. Hayward, Deon Cilliers, & Michael J. Somers .
14. A framework for evaluating reintroduction success in carnivores: lessons from African wild dogs Markus Gusset .
15. A synthesis of early indicators of the drivers of predator conservation on private lands in South Africa P.A. Lindsey, S. Romañ;ach & H. Davies-Mostert .
16. Moving beyond the descriptive: predicting the responses of top-order predators to reintroduction Matt W. Hayward .
17. Genetic considerations in reintroduction programs for large terrestrial predators Richard Frankham .
18. Breeding Far Eastern leopards for reintroduction - the zoo program perspective Sarah Christie.
19. Lessons learnt and plans laid: seven awkward questions for the future of reintroductions David W. Macdonald .
"This book, which is very easy to read, is based on the experiences of some large carnivore specialists in the world to discuss the numerous issues associated with reintroduction of large predators in their natural habitats." (Mammalia, 2010)